Inktober Tags 2019


I've been doing the Inktober Challenge this year. It's the first time I've done it. It's an art challenge where a prompt is provided each day for the whole month of October and you have to "ink" something that is related to it. I put "ink" in quotes because it's mostly about doing something every day but mostly sketching, drawing, or otherwise using ink. I'm posting this now so it will be in my October posts but I don't have them all completed yet. I do like to do it day by day even though I know what all the prompts are. When I finish up the last ones, they will be added here so check back next week for the complete set.

I decided to do tags (#5 size) because I had a whole bunch that are already colored with backgrounds and such; I just never do anything with them. So I figured this would be a good way to use them. For some of the challenges though, I started fresh. Some prompts are also tag-teamed with others but I tried to only team up ones that were consecutive.

Not much description for these as there are too many but a few notes on the ones that may need a voice. I also got tired of arguing with Blogger about how my photos should appear so they are one after another, you'll be scrolling for a bit.

Day 1: Ring

Day 2: Mindless

Day 3: Bait  I did this one on a little post-it note at work because I had forgotten about it. I used the idea from Despicable Me 3 where the little girl dumps a bunch of candy on a rock to bait in a unicorn. I decided I liked this so I just glued this onto a tag.

Day 4: Freeze.  This blue painted tag was perfect for Snow Miser.

Day 5: Build
Day 6: Husky  I was a little intimatdated to try to draw a particular breed of dog so I went with this. I used a bunch of stickers from a Dylusions back chat set. My instagram feed on this day didn't have the whole picture so the saying at the botttom, "You are always enough." got cut off. I wanted the negative things we say to ourselves everyday to lead to the affirmation.

Day 7: Enchanted. Cheated a bit here as I used a stamp image but doctored it a bit. I figured it was still ink! The stamp image is a girl with her horse but I made it into a unicorn. I particularly like how well the white pen details stand out. The stamp image is from Unity Stamp Co., artist Phyllis Harris.

Day 8: Frail

Day 9: Swing.  My original thought was a garden swing but as my mind wandered into Tarzan swinging in the jungle, this scene from Star Wars came up. I wasn't sure I could draw it but I figured if it looked shitty, I could fall back on the other ideas. While it ain't perfect, I'm damn proud of this one. It looks decent enough to me and I got my Star Wars fix.

Day 10: Pattern.  Another small cheat with a stamp image. This tag had this stencil pattern on it that I highlighted and it reminded me of peacock feathers. Stamp by Unity Stamp Co.

Day 11: Snow.  While Snow Miser would have fit perfectly well here, the word "snow" in October is a four-letter (curse) word where I live. I live in an area where it's not unheard of to go trick-or-treating with a huge parka over your costume. So this had to be the image for this prompt. Stamp image again, Katzelkraft stamps.

Day 12: Dragon.  I was kinda wishing I could do better. But it was a busy weekend with family visiting so I don't think my head was into it. I like it, though.

Day 13: Ash.  I was thinking about pairing this one with the previous prompt but...see note above. My head wasn't in the game for this one.

Days 14 and 15: Overgrown and Legend. I wanted to do something more for Halloween. Most of my stuff hadn't really reflected the reason I love October so much. Teamed up the two prompts for this Headless Horseman scene.

Day 16: Wild. Proportions are off but I get to say I attempted it.  Tyger, Tyger burning bright...

Day 17 and 18: Ornament and Misfit. I liked the idea of teaming up my favorite misfit with the Christmas tree ornament. I liked the idea of the red bulb on the tree making Rudolph feel a little bit better about his shiny red nose.

Day 19: Sling.  Ok, so I missed a day! I simply could not get to this one.

Day 20: Tread

Day 21: Treasure.  Today was my birthday!

Day 22: Ghost.  Ghosts are some of my favorite Halloween characters but in general, they never turn out the way I want when I attempt to free hand them. I did this simple depiction of The Great Pumpkin's trick-or-treating scene because I love it.

 Day 23: Ancient. On a blue tag, I began to draw a tree. That was my idea until the tree turned out quite ugly. (Really. Ugly.) Jackbear Stamps had done a great rendition of an Egyptian tomb to span the last three prompts and I was inspired to think more globally. I had the thought of drawing something like the ancient Greek gods or ruined columns. That lead my thoughts to the carved statues of Easter Island, the Moai. I was pretty sure my drawing wouldn't look great but I would attempt it anyway. I can NOT believe how well this came out. I am super happy with this tag. One of my faves!

Day 24: Dizzy   Time for another quick doodle session. This tag already had a bit of a spiral imprint so I just jazzed it up some.

Day 25 and 26: Tasty and Dark.  The answer is chocolate! A depiction of Apothecary Chocolate, the brand I make for Five Elements Living. Yes, I handmake each batch and wrap it myself. Mmm.

Day 27: Coat.  Was feeling a DAR vibe.

Day 28: Ride. The midnight ride of Paul Revere. Just couldn't get my horse to look like it was in motion. Ah well.

Day 29: Injured
Day 30: Catch
Day 31: Ripe
Did these all at once as it was already November. I just wanted to complete the challenge. I do like the way Injured and Ripe came out though. In fact, my apple benefitted from my dried up markers.

So now the collection is complete!
I only failed to do one of the prompts and did have to scramble to finish up but I had a pretty good time. I do like trying to do each one on the day so I don't feel rushed to get them done. That's when you feel too pressured to do anything.


-Wy











Comments

Popular Posts