A New Year with Postals

Wow! I can't believe that my last post was October! But then again, with the chocolate shop being so busy for the Holidays, it seems like forever since I've been able to think about anything BUT chocolate.

Thank goodness, January is slowing down. But not as slow as anticipated.

I'm itching once again to start postal letterboxing so I started a couple rings. They are small and on topics that I really liked. I also already had some stamps carved but never knew what to do with them. So I have begun the process of making logbooks. I used to like it but my last few postals had left me in a rut...same old style, same old thing. But for my Godzilla postal, I decided to go ahead and do something different. I think it's turning out pretty good!

I remembered some postal rings I had been in that had some great ideas for logbooks that weren't really books. As in, they weren't bound either by sewing, binder rings, ribbon, or what not. They were loose and placed in a small photo type brag book or just an envelope. So I ran with that idea, hoping as well to be lightweight so the postage won't be so high. But then, I began trying to think of a way to decorate the envelope so it didn't look so plain. I could stamp my stamp image on there but that seemed too easy! So I went ahead and did up a cover for the envelope. I just folded a peice of 8.5 by 11 cardstock in half and hinged the envelope on one side. So the envelope will fold out of the "cover". Like putting an envelope inside of a greeting card. So now I've got a few pages to decorate and put all the info that I wanted to add to the logbook without binding up a book! It's looking pretty good thus far!

My other ring is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Its such an awesome cartoon that I didn't know where to begin. But I'm trying to focus on my stamp which is of Eduardo, the purple fuzzy monster that looks like he stepped out of Where the Wild Things Are. He's a big coward mostly. I haven't really had a chance to sit down and look at what I want to do with this postal. Now that I type this out, the "purple fuzzy" part I just wrote seems pretty inspiring. But there's so much to do with this cartoon, I'm not sure if one ring will be enough!

I've slowed down on the LTCs, mostly because I'm gearing up for my Clue swaps and these usually take some time to sort and mail and keep track of. I've seen a few neat swaps but I'm not sure I can get a stamp carved and cards made by the fast approaching due dates. So I've tried not to sign up for any that I'm not sure I can complete. Though, I did sign up for a swap that is devoted to Alcohol Inks...but don't get me started on that topic!

The LTCs that I have planned are mostly with stamps I've already carved or with stamps that I'm going to carve for traditional boxes this year. I want to do a frog of some kind, for the annual Frog Jumping Contest that is held in Colton and I think that will lend itself well to a card. But I'm also looking into some LTCs that use several of my stamps on a small scale. I've seen plenty of cards that I like with several small stamps all on a theme. Of course, that means I have to carve SMALL stamps and I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied with them. I picture detail but I don't know if I'm at the skill level that I envision for these stamps. So I'll pull out some scrap rubber and see what I can punch out.

Comments

Popular Posts