Red Carpet Studios Challenge #76: Sixteen Candles

Time for another challenge at Red Carpet Studios!!!! Our movie is Sixteen Candles!
It's one of my favorite themes ever: BIRTHDAY! Everyone has one and it deserves a little card, a little cake, and a little smile!

Head over to Red Carpet Studios to see the details of the challenge. Just link up a paper project on the theme over on the blog (super easy) and you may win a little something!

Here's what I did for the challenge:

Exploding Birthday Card: This is my first attempt at an "exploding" type card. It's a "box" that folds down flat like a card. When you pull it apart, it forms a box that can easily be displayed on a table top. I have seen them done on many blogs and have wanted to try it but many directions just said they cut a template or die-cut. I finally found some dimensions and how to cut it HERE. If you don't want to see the video, there is a gallery for the webisode and you can click on the card to see the instructions. It's the top row, middle card.


Firstly, I apologize for some of the photos. The sun decided to shine right in the window as I was taking pictures! This is how the card looks folded down. You can see some of the inside peeking through the cut line. Since the card would basically be displayed opened up, I didn't bother doing anything to the upper flaps (they end up folded down).

I LOVE this set of stamps that I used from Hot Off the Press. Most of the stamps are birthday themed but these two sizes of flowers are my favorites. The clear acrylic set is no longer available at paperwishes.com (where I originally purchased it) but they do have a DIGITAL version of it! You can see it HERE.
I stamped the flowers in black directly onto the blue cardstock then stamped them onto white cardstock and colored them in with Distress Markers. The little circles in the center are also from Hot off the Press, Jewel Dazzles! I just glued on my cut out flowers over the stamped ones for a perfect fit.
 

This is a close up of the "exploding" part of the card. Again, all the stamps were from the same set. I chose to use bright colors to match the patterned paper I chose for the inside squares.

It took a while to color but it was totally worth it!


This is one of the inside flaps. I colored in the cupcake and added Glossy Accents over the cherry to add a little shine. I just love how I can color in the sprinkles on this stamp!


Here's the view from the top! I did pop up the cupcakes on foam dots just because. ;)

I hope you have a great week and I look forward to seeing what you create for the challenge!
--Wy
"There is still no cure for the common birthday." --John Glenn

Comments

Popular Posts