It Makes Me Happy

Go HERE to see the latest Red Carpet Studio Challenge Post! (50 Shades of Grey)


I decided to experiment with something last weekend because of several things.
1. I ran out of TAPE RUNNER. Both of my tape runners just ran dry and I was too lazy to haul my butt to the nearest JoAnn's (a 45 minute drive). I am particular about tape runners because I like my cards to stay together! I've tried some that just don't work. Glue sticks are okay for some things but I don't trust them to stay stuck, either.

2. I am down to 2 "art journals". I promised myself that I wouldn't buy another blank journal because I still have the Artist Journal and my new large format Dylusions journal. I am having withdrawal! I'm still getting used to the larger size of my "Inspiration Journal" and the Artist Journal (as I've mentioned before) just doesn't do INK.

3. Both of the above meant that I had to turn my attention to a few canvases. I did one, then another. Realized that I was out of Multi Medium. I use that stuff to adhere 3-D elements 'cuz....well, see #1; I like things to stay stuck.

Those three things conspired against me and unleashed my Experimental Self. I have been meaning to try a little something but never really had the notion to just experiment and see how it worked. What is it?
Melting crayons.

You've seen the photos on Pinterest of those melted colorful rainbows dripping down canvas, right? I have wanted to try it for a long time. So I finally did.


Crayon Canvas:  I had this 6X6 "canvas" that my sis bought at a garage sale. (It was a black and white abstract thing that I just primed with white gesso.) It had been sitting on my table for at least 6 months so I used it for the experiment. I also had a large box of Crayola crayons (A special Millenium assortment with a bit of everything from neons to metallics.) that needed to be used. I chose a rainbow of colors with a few to transition and broke off an end. I peeled off the label and glued them to the top of the canvas. (No special glue here just white craft glue.)


After the glue had dried, I just used my heat gun to melt the crayons. I tipped the canvas to let it drip. I just love the drips! This was SO MUCH FUN!
 
 I thought maybe just let it drip in little rivers of color but once I got going, I just needed to see the swirls. The best part was that if I didn't like it, I just kept heating it and let it run right off the canvas and added more from the top. The worst part was that there was no way to control where these drips were going and what colors they would end up mingling with. My green got a little friendly with my orange which wasn't what I wanted but hey, it's only an experiment!

So it made me HAPPY! This was so fun and I got a few more ideas about how to use it. I'd like to do some dots of wax, melt the wax enough that I can sketch in it or write a few words.

I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do with this canvas or how to complete it. It seems unfinished to me. But I really don't care. It was just plain fun!

Hope you try something new soon!
-Wy
"If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad."  -Sheryl Crow

Comments

Popular Posts