Red Carpet Studio Challenge #94: 50 Shades of Grey

This week's challenge at Red Carpet Studio was a touch difficult for me. Grey is not a color I use in quantity. Grey...Gray...it's a shadow; a shade; a subtlety often overlooked. It's gloomy.

But this challenge is to make a project using only grey and a touch of red. I think it makes sense to those of you who have read the book and will soon see the movie. (Obviously I haven't. I have only heard about it...)

If you want to step out of your comfort zone and join the challenge, you may be randomly selected to win a prize from this sponsor:
 
 Check out our sponsor HERE

Here's what I made:


Thorny Heart:  I made a "box" card out of grey cardstock. I used a small rose stamp and embossed it onto another shade of grey cardstock. I embossed some in black sparkle and some in silver (in my book, silver is a shade of grey). On some of the roses, I colored them in with Pumice Stone, a grey Distress Marker. (My prediction for a new Distress Color this year is another shade of grey!) I drew in the thorny vines then adhered my cut-out roses over them; 4 per panel.



After working on this a while, I thought it needed something extra. That's when I decided to cut the top panels to look like more vines. I thought it made a nice effect; sort of like a cage and sort of like a peek into what lay in the middle.


I cut out some "vines" from black cardstock then a heart from white glossy cardstock. I colored the heart with Barn Door Distress Stain and added a line of glitter pen around the perimeter. I covered the whole thing with glossy accents to be sure it "popped". 


The above photo is how the card looks folded down flat. 

For being very hesitant to work with all grey, I like the project. I'm gonna keep this "anti" Valentine for someone special! 
Don't forget to link up your paper project over at the blog! I'd love to see what you create!
--Wy
"Every rose has its thorn. Just like every night has its dawn. Just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad, song."
                 --Poison, "Every Rose Has its Thorn"

Comments

Popular Posts