Red Carpet Studio Challenge # 71: Vacation!



It's another challenge Week! This week Red Carpet Studios is featuring National Lampoon's Vacation! This cult classic starring Chevy Chase is about a family's road trip vacation to a theme park across the country.
THE CHALLENGE: Create a project in honor of vacations. Do you have pictures of your last vacation that need scrapped? Do you have an adorable new vacation themed digi stamp?
 
I really wasn't feeling the vacation vibe until I thought about what a vacation really is. It's a time to relax and do the things that you want to do. It's a time to de-stress and leave the workload behind you. With that in mind, I created these two similar cards.
 

Flight Cards: I used a stamp set from Lawn Fawn called Sunny Skies. I like the feeling of freedom this set has. So I started with the card with the birds.



Both tags were mop-up tags. (Mop up tags are what I use to clear any over sprayed ink from my art journaling.) I added some Smooch spray to them to give them a little sparkle. Then, just stamped away and colored in with Distress markers. This one seemed a little dark so I decided to use white as the card base for the next one.



On this card, I decided to do an interactive card. The kite lends itself well to a slider mechanism so I went with it. Sliders aren't hard to do, really. You just need some foam dots. If you've never made one, here's how I did mine:
1. Cut a slit in the tag slightly larger than the foam/pop dots.
2. I grabbed a scrap of cardstock that was just slightly larger than the slit. (And leave enough room at the "Pull" end so someone can grab it.) I laid it under the tag slit.
3. I put 2-3 pop dots at the end of the slider strip. With the slider strip in place (that is, under the tag), I applied the kite to the pop dots.
4. Adhere the edges of the tag to the card front taking care to leave the slider strip unattached to anything!
5. When you pull the strip, the kite should move up the slit to reveal the card front behind it.
 
I added the kite string under the open slit to make it "appear" as the kite ascended. I did that before I stuck the tag down. TIP: If you place adhesive (I used Scor-Tape as it's super strong for this kind of thing.) close to the slider strip, it will act as a slot that will prevent the slider from moving too far out of place.
 
Slider cards just require a bit of thinking before you tape everything down but they are a fun addition to any card! Give it a try.
And if you make any vacation themed projects, be sure to share them over at Red Carpet Studios so I can see your work!
--Wy
"A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in." --Robert Orben

Comments

Popular Posts