The Halloween Tree

 One of my favorite books is The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. I have always wanted to make one: a Halloween Tree or a Pumpkin Tree but it seemed too far out of my skill set. I have tried to draw them or make one on a 2-D canvas but they never quite satisfied my vision.

I have come very close this year. I won't bore you with a lot of details on this one. I took a stick and added wire and washi tape to make extra branches. I added lights. I added pumpkins and small paper cut details. The base is upcycled from something that was being trashed. The boys are paper dolls from Tim Holtz and the old man is a cut out rubber stamp image. That old man is Moundshroud carved by hand by Jackbear Stamps. This image is taken from the 1st edition of The Halloween Tree that was illustrated by Joseph Mugnaini.


I took photos with a piece of my artwork behind it as well as a simple "bare" background. (The original artwork is called "Moonshine".) Some details show up better against the dark, some better against the light. Enjoy the photos.







Remember what I told you? It lights up.





"...a mob of smiles shine down on thee from the gourds hung high on the Halloween Tree."

-Wy

Comments

Popular Posts