Master Detective Zine (Graphic 45)

Just a disclaimer here: Most of the artwork in this little Zine is from the Graphic 45 paper collection called Master Detective. Because I am such a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I made this Zine for me and it will not be copied for any kind of distribution. I feel that would infringe on copyright because I really did not change the artwork significantly. But I did want to share it as an inspiration for other Zines and themes.

When this collection of paper and ephemera was released last year, I could not resist it. I have way too much paper but sometimes something comes along that just hits you in the fandom. I am happy to report that I have used it and am not just hoarding it.



Master Detective:  If you are unfamiliar with a Zine, it is a short term used for a Fanzine, which is a small production magazine usually devoted to niche topics.(Typically so small in production that they are just one step above a newsletter in size and distribution.) But in the art world, a Zine is also your own little book made from a single piece of paper. The above photo shows you how it looks unfolded. This is how you work on it. The paper is an 8.5 X 11 folded in half three times then cut down the middle of the two inner panels. It's way easier to see it in action. Just look it up on YouTube, if you're interested in how to craft one. I don't think the folding is anything new. What's new about it is how it's being used. Once the Zine is complete in this form, it can be color copied and then distributed/sold. So you make an original and then you can sell copies. (Ergo the disclaimer at the top.)



The next two photos show you what it looks like when it's folded together. I like to add a touch of double stick tape in between a couple of the pages for stability. This is also why I like to use paper as the base rather than cardstock; it's way easier to fold correctly. But if you're making copies, it doesn't matter too much as the copies can be made on thinner paper and easily folded. So the above photo would be a finished product.

One of the nice things about not making copies of a Zine is that you really can embellish it in grand style. I don't usually use 3D or thick embellishments because they are hard to copy. But in a personal Zine, it won't matter. I didn't use thick embellishments here but I did add a hinge so one of the ephemera cards could form a lift-able flap as seen above.


I also added little bits from the Tim Holtz Idea-ology line. (His Halloween ephemera pack to be precise.) That vintage look worked seamlessly with these papers and colors.


Besides the little door in the back, it also has an eye-spy game based on some of the artwork from Graphic 45. Again, it's all in the paper collection and it was great fun to put together.

I'll be sharing some Halloween Zines in October so be looking for them in my Etsy store soon. For the upcoming ones, I do have copies as none of the collaged elements is copyrighted. I do really like to make these Zines and I hope to make many more.

So just in case, you thought it was too early to start making things for Halloween...think again!
-Wy

Comments

Popular Posts