1776

When The United States of America turned 200 years old (1976), I was 5 years old. My family marked the day with a photo that I remember well. My brothers and sisters were all arranged in front of the bookcase with a hand-painted sign that my father had made. It said simply "1976" and was painted in black paint on a large piece of scrap wood. My older siblings got to hold it. We were all dressed in the standard '70's fashions of bell bottoms, floral patterns (that were no doubt leftover from some old couch fabric) and God-awful orange. My young brother had no shoes on and decided to run in and out of the various photos that my parents were trying to take of us. My older brother was busy putting rabbit ears on his closest sister.

I've learned a lot about my country since then but this is an artsy, craftsy blog and I don't want to get into political or social debates. But I learned a lot from that day in 1976. The main lesson was that what makes America great is our love for each other. The other important lesson was not to stand next to my older brother during a photo session.

So here's a couple little projects I did up to mark the day.

 This ATC just happened from scraps on the desk. I just really wanted to use up some sticky backed rhinestones.





I am a bit embarrassed to admit that most of what I remember from school about the American Revolution can be directly traced to the musical, "1776". In fact, I distinctly remember in junior high passing a history test because I knew how to explain the "Triangle Trade" routes on an essay question. I may or may not have directly quoted the song, "Molasses to Rum".

This index card began with that parchment in the middle. See, I had done an Art Journal page with some of the Declaration of Independence. I had a parchment copy of it and decided to rip it up to use for collage. (Hey, it's a copy and it's paper!) But I had this top portion left...it said, "in Congress" in really big letters. How could I not use that with this lovely quote from the very beginning of the movie? I was tempted by my favorite line, "I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two become a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress." But it was too long.

So anyway, Happy Independence Day! Celebrate your own American story today!
-Wy

Comments

Popular Posts