Red Carpet Challenge #98: Overboard!

This week's new challenge at Red Carpet Studios is the movie: Overboard!


This week's challenge is to use both a masculine and feminine element in your project!
This month's sponsor is LAWN FAWN!

 You could win a 6 X 6 paper pad and a stamp set of your choice! I love LAWN FAWN stamps and I just bought some of the Mon Ami papers...delicious! But back to our challenge...

I wasn't sure about how to incorporate both masculine and feminine elements so I tried my hand first at a card.


Keys to the Past Card:  I had some scraps lying on my table (wow, really?). I paired up the masculine fabric stickers of cars with the feminine elements of ribbons and a bow. It works but I thought maybe I could do better. (The overall feel of this card still seems very masculine to me.)

My first thought was a Steampunk style but I have a real problem pulling it off the way I'd like it to look. So I thought about what masculine elements I could pull from that style. Naturally, I went with gears. (Have I mentioned that I love circular objects?) I could maybe pair it with more ribbon or lace...or maybe some flowers.

So I began playing in my art journal and this is what I finished.


I had a rough time deciding if this page was finished or not but it is. I used Dylusions spray ink for the background color then used Glimmer Mist Copper to stencil in the gears over the top. I LOVE this combo! Added some stamps for texture then went on a paper ripping binge to create my flowers for the bottom.



The die-cut gears were given to me by my sister to try out. LOVE. They were cut out of a bright yellow cardstock so I painted two smaller ones white and embossed the two larger ones with super fine copper embossing powder (Ranger). I added a bit of Distress ink (walnut stain, black soot) to grunge them up a bit.

My favorite spread in the new Dylusions journal (Inspiration journal) so far. Also learned that I may need to make most of my backgrounds BEFORE completing pages as the ink bleeds pretty badly into the center and soaks through to other pages in the same signature. Nothing too disturbing to me so far; I'm rolling with it for now.


Remember to share what you make with us over at Red Carpet Studios! I love to see what you create! Our Design Team loves to comment on your work, too!
--Wy
"Ya can't live with 'em, ya can't live without 'em. There's something irresista-bull-ish about 'em." 
               --Kermit the Frog, The Muppet Movie

Comments

Popular Posts