Followers

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Red Carpet Studio Challenge #96: Ella Enchanted

This week's challenge for Red Carpet Studio is based on the movie: Ella Enchanted!


The theme is to make a project that inspires a fairy tale. Make it magical!

Our sponsor for the month of March is:



A random participant will win a $15 gift certificate to their on-line store! Check them out HERE!


For this challenge I wanted to do something different from a card. The theme is one that gets me excited so I decided to do a project I had been putting off for too long; an altered box!

I've had several old cigar boxes hanging around just waiting for me to work on them. But I just never got to them and when I put them away in my closet...well, you know the story...once its put away; out of sight, out of mind!



I didn't take photos of it along the way but here's plenty of the completed box:


Secret Fairy Box:
The front side is repeated on all four sides. It's scrapbook paper (Once Upon a Time from DCWV) with green heavy body acrylic stenciled over it. (Stencil from Joggles: Branches)
Not too impressive...but here's the top and that's the part you'll always see:



 All of this stuff was in my stash with the packaging long gone. It's lace and pearls, buttons and rhinestones. I did alter the glittery flowers. They were originally white and I sprayed them with some Lindy's Stamp Gang spray.  It's a permanent spray ink. I also transformed the metal butterflies from gold to silver with the help of some silver metallic Adirondack Alcohol ink (Ranger). Great stuff.
 

All of the embellishments are glued down with Ranger Multi-medium. And they are on there GOOD!


Yup, even did the inside. More green paint and some scrapbook paper.




The inside of the lid seems finished...not sure. I like it but it does seem a bit empty. Anyway, more scrapbook paper and the lace trim wrapped around from the front. I just added a bit of leftover bling. The ribbon at the top that is the "handle" was the first thing I did so I could layer everything else over it to hide it. It's also colored with the Lindy's spray that I used on the flowers. (The spray soaked in better to the ribbon and saturated it better than the flowers, hence the ribbon came out much darker than the flowers!)

Overall, it came out very well! I did prime the box with Gesso then added a layer of paint...pink, of course. Just so I didn't have to worry about covering every centimeter with paper; the paint would provide coverage.

This project took me about a week to complete and most of that was drying time. Every time I stenciled, I had to wait for it to dry completely before moving on. I let it dry overnight to be sure I wouldn't smear it all over the box.

I love getting a project like this all completed...a project I had been thinking about for awhile but never felt motivated enough to start it. Yippee!

So be sure to share your paper craft project over at Red Carpet Studios! I'd love to see what you create!
--Wy
"Once upon a time..."


1 comment:

  1. Cool! I just got the mother-in-law some items for a fairy garden. Putting a little fairy "garden" in a box like this would be like a little fairy diorama. Great looking box. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete