Red Carpet Studio Challenge #77: Billy Madison

Back to School time!
The new challenge at Red Carpet Studio Challenge Blog is based on the movie, Billy Madison. Join in some fun and use inks, paints, sprays on your project and link it up!

Here's what I created for the challenge:


Primary Composition Notebook:  The challenge to use paints and "back to school" supplies was super fun for me! I know I'm not the only person who gets excited for Back to School only because of all the notebooks, pens, binders and office supplies that seem to be everywhere! I don't even have kids! I don't even go to school! But let's face it; there is nothing like the joy of cracking open a brand new notebook and writing on the very first page!



This is one of those black and white composition notebooks...the cheap kind that you get this time of year for 50 cents or less. It's got a hundred pages of lined paper and all those interesting school tables on the inside covers. I left the inside alone.
For the covers, I first collaged dictionary pages on to the covers with Mod Podge. I used three primary colors of Golden Fluid Acrylic paint; a yellow, a red, and a blue. Because these paints are pretty transparent, it's easy to layer them over one another to get the secondary colors. (shown better on the back cover). I wanted to keep it very "kindergarten", if ya know what I mean, but not really rainbow.


Then, I added my letter and number stickers. I had a ton of alphabet stickers (and I still have a ton!) with letters that I'll never use so I matched up colors as best I could and stuck 'em on! (I found my blue alphabet AFTER I had finished my project! Damn!) I used letters on the front cover and numbers on the back cover. (My original idea changed mid-project!) I put a coat of Mod Podge (matte) over them to keep them from falling off with use.


I was originally going to use some school images and cut-outs from some Tim Holtz papers but the vintage style of the paper didn't match up with my primary color scheme. So I just used up plain colored card stock cut into simple geometric shapes. I collaged them on, outlined them with black Sharpie pen, added my title, and finished it off with a bit of black paint splatter. (Because paint is messy at it's best!)


There she is! A completed composition notebook ready to be filled with all kinds of quotes, inspiration, and little poems; maybe even a sketch or two!

Hope you'll share your work over at Red Carpet Studio so I can see what you create! Leave a comment if you are so inclined and feed my fish!!!!
-Wy
"We are the C.I.T's so piteous. The kids are brats; the food is hideous!"  --song from the movie "Meatballs" sung by the Counselors in Training (CITs)

Comments

Popular Posts