Welcome 2019

Every year, I write a post about what I accomplished the last year and what I hope to accomplish in the coming year. I review my last year and see what the hell happened to all my well-laid plans.

This year...I'm almost afraid to look at that post.  But here goes...

PLEASE WAIT. (You may want to look at that old post as I will be referring to it.)


Goals for last year (2018): Success or Failure?

1. Organize and downsize: FAIL. I managed some organization in that I invested in a marker caddy and a binder for some of my rubber stamps. But for what I managed to downsize, I also managed to add at least that much back into the "stash". Ugh.

2. Attend more Live craft shows as vendor: SUCCESS. While I didn't do that many, I did more than the previous year. I feel like I can do better here.

3. Make more framed canvases to sell: FAIL.  In fact, I can't remember if I made any canvases this year. I made a few for Halloween but other than that, I didn't really move on this goal.

4. Making some Zines for Etsy Shop: SUCCESS.  While I didn't make as many as I would have liked, I made two that I still have for sale at my shop. One was dedicated to Harry Houdini and the other is The Lab. They debuted in October but I still have copies available.

5. Make new Divination Deck: FAIL.  While I had all my ideas written down and I got a start on it, the project fell by the wayside as my real life got in the way. I think some of my ideas seemed intimidating and that slowed me down. I also didn't have much success with the launch of the first deck, so I thought I'd try to put some effort into selling that before making/investing in another. I think as it stands right now, I have artwork for 3 cards done. (The deck has 16.)

6. Be more positive about my work: SUCCESS. I think I have been able to be more positive about my art. I try not to compare it with other artists and I try to just let the stuff that doesn't quite work for me fade into time. I have tried to be less critical.

7. Change up blog posts: SUCCESS. I wanted to just try storytelling and journaling with less links to products. I'm not quite where I wanted to be but I think I'm on my way. It's hard for me not to include my process of making things. I think I also did a few more "photo only" posts so I'll call that a win.

8. Work on Color Palette Journal and Altered Books: FAIL.  Sweet Mother Mary and Joseph! Will I ever get to take this goal off my list? I still didn't work in (nor complete) my Color Palette Journal. It's still sitting in a drawer. Altered Books are still whispering to me from behind the walls. Maybe I'll do it if I take it off the list, ugh.

WHAT I LEARNED IN 2018:

1. I need to invest in the Brand. I have been packaging my greeting cards in protective sleeves but not all of them. I have realized that I need to invest in labeling and packaging that reminds people where they got this item. Or if given as a gift, where the recipient can find more products like this. This may be the year I make investments in my art business. I need labels or a stamp to apply right to the back of the cards. I may even look into Square so I can process credit cards at art/craft shows.

2. I am a mixed media artist not just a card maker.  At the craft shows I did attend this past year, I mainly invested table space in greeting cards. I made no room for my artwork or Divination Decks or even my Zines. I need to cut back on the cards and put my artwork out there. For that, I need to remember the mantra above, it's the brand. I may need to invest in an easel or other vertical "wall" space that I can transport that will display artwork well.

3, I need to promote the Etsy Shop.   I haven't invested too much time to driving people into my Etsy site and that will need to change. I need to remember to take time to promote the store on all my social media platforms and put it's website address on everything.

4. I have too much stuff.  One of my top goals for last year was to organize and downsize. I failed on it. I can't help but wonder if that has had an impact on my creative drive. Having more choices means more decisions which means more time wasted in looking for things, feeling guilty about things, and buyer's remorse. With fewer supplies, I don't need to make as many choices and I can utilize the time I have more effectively. I honestly think that my "stash" has grown to the point where it may be hindering my mojo.

5. It's okay to not make stuff.  Sometimes last year, I felt a bit pressured to get things made. While I have little problem working with deadlines, I found myself feeling a bit guilty on days that I had time to create but didn't. I learned that it's okay for me to just slack off once in a while. I learned that I work better at a slower pace. (this seems odd to say since last year, I said almost the opposite in that I didn't have enough time to create. I think I need to find the happy medium between where I don't feel guilty about taking a break and don't have the actual time to get anything done.)


GOALS FOR 2019:

1. Buy nothing. I have stuff. I have more than enough stuff. My goal for many years now has been to not buy scrapbook paper and it has been pretty effective. I fall off the wagon a couple times a year but overall, I have not added to my paper stash. But now I need to cut myself off from other things as well, like rubber stamps and markers. I'm going to make this goal this year with only one caveat: if I attend a stamp show anytime this year, I'm allowed to buy things within an established budget. I'm going to try not to buy anything new on-line this year! (art/craft related) OMG, I can't believe I just said that. I am allowing myself the flexibility to buy anything I need that I have run out of (like paint or glue or tape) but those items must be replaced as I had them. Like I won't get a new paint color but I'm allowed to replace the color that ran out. I'll also make an exception for tools like paintbrushes and paper trimmers. But I'm hoping to keep it to a minimum.

2. Use up stickers.  I have stated before that I used to hoard stickers. I loved them. I still have quite a few in my stash and I need to set the goal of using them up this year. EVERY...LAST...ONE. Art journals, ATCs, everything gets a sticker. I have already dedicated an art journal to pages that use stickers. Even though I will be using my stash this year (see goal #1), I'm optimistic that I can attain this goal in particular. I could never use up all my paper in a year but stickers...I'm going for it!

3. Do more art/craft shows.  I need to get my brand out there. I did three shows last year. I want to do 5 this year. We'll hope for the best.

4. Complete a new Divination Deck. I slacked off last year even though I had a pretty firm plan. I just couldn't get the work done. I need to go back to the drawing board and see where my ideas fell apart. But this year, I hope to launch the Ultra Violet deck. Cross your fingers.

5. Organize a class. I have been thinking about teaching a small class about some stamping techniques and card making. I am confident in my knowledge base but not so much in my teaching skill. But I'm going to keep my ideas rolling for it and put down the goal of teaching one class this year.

6. Make a mother f-ing altered book!!!!!


FOCUS may be my word of 2019. I need to focus on the mixed media. I need to focus on the brand. I need to focus on my marketing for the Etsy shop. I need to focus on a project until it's finished.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck!
Thanks, all, for reading the blog and hanging out on my social media sites. If you haven't liked or followed my FB page...it's HERE.
My Instagram....HERE.
My Pinterest...I'm in the process of setting up a business account. I'll get back to ya.
My Etsy Shop...HERE.

I don't Tweet and I never will.

Happy New Year!
-Wy

Comments

Popular Posts