Inspiration Wednesday: Part 1

To find out what Inspiration Wednesday is all about, check out Donna Downey Studios. Donna Downey also has a YouTube channel with past Inspiration Wednesday videos.

In a nutshell, Donna combines creative energy and improvisation to produce Art Journals. I signed up again this year to create my 2016 Inspiration Journal.

I had great reservations about sharing my first few layouts as they seemed lacking in...something. I couldn't seem to find my groove within them. But hey, it's just an art journal, it ain't the Sistine Chapel. So I'm gonna share them anyway.

Magic:  Donna's spread had paint dripping off the ends of paintbrushes. I thought of bottles and the mixing of colors as their potions ran together. I didn't quite get what I wanted. But I learned the lesson of drippage; sometimes less is more. I can see where I went wrong here and I think that more than makes the page for me.


Burn:   This week required the burning of the edges of some elements. I'm all about that! The insert was burned as well as the edges of some of the masking tape. Then I glued the burned matches down in the middle just for the heck of it. My collage isn't spectacular but I love the opposite page for all its simplicity.

The page spread began with a coating of modeling paste so that's the "secret" in the surface. Both pages have a very funky feel to them.


To Infinity and Beyond:  I couldn't even begin to tell you where this week went wrong. Drippage didn't work, glazing didn't work, color blending just fell through and collage busted my chops. I couldn't get any traction with this page. I painted over the first mess I had, then just accepted the second mess. I just can't seem to like it but I also can't pinpoint exactly what I don't like about it. I think it might be everything.


Be Unstoppable:  This week was okay. I resisted the urge to add color. The spread seems almost unfinished, though. I love the copper touches along the edges and the lettering stickers I used. I think I'm stuck on the fact that this was very straight-forward and "simple". Basically, collage. I learned that it's not quite enough for me.

Thanks for dropping in and checking out the journal!
--Wy
When the World says "Give Up", Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

Comments

Popular Posts