The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I'm all about Christmas right now and I think it's because Northern NY got so much snow "early" this year. Normally, we don't get significant snowfall (that hangs on) until after Thanksgiving. But this year, at the beginning of Thanksgiving week, we got about a foot of snow. And it's still here.

And let's face it, if you're from the Northern part of the US, snow is the trigger for feelings of Christmas. You want to stay inside and nurse a cup of hot cocoa, listen to Andy Williams sing THAT song, and bask in the glow of little multi-colored lights on an artificial tree. Sometimes, you even get the urge to go shopping. Everyone is having some sales and all the Holiday stuff is in stock.

I was inspired by a shopping trip to the Ashley House in Norwood, NY. They always dress the place up beautifully at Christmas. This year, they had a wonderful display in the "lobby" area of reds and whites. Lovely cardinals and red bows. Magnificent white owls and snow globes. Inspiration strikes everywhere.



This is an 11 X 14 canvas. I had the background done in the reds for a loooong time. Perhaps since last February or even last Christmas. I don't often work with red so it may have been for a forgotten project. Anyway, it was perfect for my new inspiration.
The ornaments are just torn paper that was already embossed with the gold. (It's from Paperwishes, called a "color me" paper.) I just tore out circles and arranged them. I blended the edges with gelatos. I used a light silver but it didn't give enough definition, so I went over it again with black.

It seemed to come together very quickly and when that happens I always second guess myself. Does it have enough? I had to remind myself that the background took time even though I may not remember the work. So yes, Virginia, it has enough.

-Wy
"There'll be scary ghost stories, and tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago."
               --Andy Williams, "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year"

Comments

Popular Posts