Poe's Nevermore


It's no secret that Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite authors. I like classic literature to a certain extent (that stuff they used to make you read in school) but not all of it. But Poe's unusual style of stretching a story to madness is irresistable. He has inspired countless movies, authors, and artists with his macabre collections of stories and poetry. No more famous poem than "The Raven".

 

While I can recite the entire first stanza and many other lines from memory and it is a favorite of mine, I often think that it is greatly overdone in art. And yet here I've gone and done it; made a notebook that features Poe's most famous work.
 

A composition notebook features his portrait and several glittery black ravens. His face looks somber enough but if you look at it in the dark, it will glow like an eerie green skull. The papers are from a set by Authentique and lent the Victorian/Classic style to the cover. Splotches of green offset the aged papers. The old pen and ink stamp is from the new Laboratorie set from Tim Holtz.


The back cover features more collage elements and the final quote from "The Raven" written in my handwriting. I added some coppery/green spray and a gears stencil (The Crafters Workshop) just for fun. The collage images were from Altered Pages. (alteredpages.com) The ravens were old stickers from a Martha Stewart set that I vowed to use up and never buy again.
 

I always read a bit of Poe at this time of year but didn't want this book to feel like Halloween. I just wanted it to feel like those old classic hardcovers. The only thing it lacks to my mind is the "old book smell".

This item will not be replicated exactly but it is for sale at my Etsy store.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/166696667/collaged-composition-notebook-poes?
Stop by and favorite the shop, if you like. I'll be adding more stuff as it gets done.
--Wy
"And its eyes had all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."  E.A. Poe, "The Raven"

Comments

Popular Posts