6 X 6 (11)

Wow, December is just rolling along, ain't it?

Here's another batch of 6 X 6 "art journal" creations. Be sure to check out inspiration from Rachel Black at her YouTube channel. #artfulevidence

Week 37: Stars: Untitled.   I decided to just make a companion piece to the previous week which was Diamonds. I went with a fluorescent pop and the nuvo drops I used on the background stars actually glow in the dark.




Week 38: Dragonflies: Bright Dragonfly.  I was making cards at the time and found these luscious colors in my scrap pile. I sketched out the dragonfly and cut it out from a leftover background paper. I cut it out in three pieces and just glued it all together. It turned out way better than I had imagined when I started it.

Week 39: Rust: Electric Bee.   I often fall back to steampunk themes when a prompt is "rust". But I wanted something different that the steampunk page I had already done. Then, I was inspired by a Jennifer McGuire video about how to make a faux metallic look with texture paste and embossing powder. (You can see the video here.) I decided to try the technique with this page. The hexagons are the texture paste with a combination of embossing powders. To tone it down a bit more, I used some distress ink around the edges as well as some gelato to really get between the shapes. I knew I wanted a bee but the stamp image I had seemed too small so I made the bee from die-cut gears and a couple flower petals. I drew in the outlet and cord because a bee goes "buzz" and that was pretty damn close to the sound of electricity. (you know, bzzt) Anyway, this was another page that surprised me.




Week 40: Winter: Birch.  I knew the theme was coming but I wasn't sure what to do with it. I figured I'd go with a "first snow" page. As I was rifling through my stencils for the previous page (rust), I saw the Birch tree stencil from Tim Holtz in my bag. I told myself to remember that because it would come in handy with some of the Christmas stamps I had. So I just laid down the stencil and went over it with a grey ink. I didn't want black as the background so I planned to color in the parts of the trees with a black sharpie. After I saw the gray, I decided to add in a navy blue to make the sky appear more wintery. I ditched the stencil then and just tried to make the birches look realistic.(which is not really my strong suit) Once I had the pen work done, I thought about my snow idea and decided against it. I just wanted a horizontal element to round out the trees and found a quote to add. This ranks as my new favorite. I may even frame it.


So thanks for joining me. Hope you have an awesome week. My Christmas project is on hold and I doubt it will get finished this year. My mojo needs some recharging and some simple playtime with no expectations. But if I manage to get the advent calendar done, you'll be the first to see it.

If you're still looking for a unique gift, check out my Etsy store! I've got Divination Decks in stock as well as Postcards featuring Edgar Allan Poe. Or just drop in to favorite an item!

Peace,
-Wy

Comments

Popular Posts