Little Things

I freely admit to be a lover and hoarder of "little" things. But when it comes time to make a project, I find that I am drawn to a larger scale. I seem to have lost my affinity for tags, ATCs, index cards and reach more for an A2 card or 8 X 10 canvas.

Perhaps I feel more constrained in the small area. More anxious that I won't fit all I want there. More claustrophobic, cramped. All those things work on your mind and that freezes you up.

So I've been trying to use up scraps...these are my most hoarded "little things". I can't seem to throw away a good rectangle of paper. But I have been using them on larger projects. So I am trying to challenge myself this month to create "little things". Completed works that are small.

I have many "mini" canvas' that I purchased on sale and I hope to get them underway soon. But this isn't as easy as it sounds. I can't seem to find the inspiration for small canvas' or ATCs in the same way I used to. So I went back to the beginning. Back to when I made ATCs rather regularly and finished off tags relatively easily. What was it that allowed the work to progress? Why didn't I freeze up then as I do now? Because they had no real purpose...I had no plan for them except to share them with friends. I just made what I liked and it wasn't going to end up on a craft table or in an Etsy shop.

Realizing this, I managed to get a couple things done. Perhaps not as small as I would like, but I'm getting there.



Love Squared:  The canvas is only 3 X 3 but it was plenty of room for some particularly lovely buttons from my stash. What broke the block here? The background color of Bubblegum Pink. It made me think of my niece and her favorite color combo used to be pink and black. I could not disagree.




Good Heart Flowers:  This piece is a bit larger at 5 X 7 but I still rank it as "little". The inked background had been lying around for a while. It's got some glimmer in the back but it's hard to photograph. Anyway, the block broke when I decided to fall back on my old stand-by method of tearing paper. Nothing gets ideas swirling for me more that just taking out scrap paper or partial backgrounds and ripping them into shapes. I was going for poppies here but as I tore, the shapes became rather heart-like. All it needs is a nice frame to go up on my wall.

More to share soon.
Thanks for stopping in!
-Wy

Comments

Popular Posts