Creative Chemistry 103: Day 4

Day 4 was Crayon day! I tried 3 of the techniques and will have to go back and review a video or two about a couple others. I can't seem to wrap my head around the printed directions. Maybe it's creativity overload!

Once again, nothing is a finished project but these backgrounds will be used for cards eventually.
Blended Background:  I was not a big fan of this technique. I thought I would be...it seems simple enough. I think I will give this one another go on a different watercolor paper. The crayon just didn't seem to want to move even with water and brushing. I will be attempting this technique again with a different paper. I also don't like the colors I currently have for this technique. I like the colors separately but when I start putting them all together, I get a mess. Which means I either have to 1. invest in more crayons, or 2. just stop using them. Hmm...

Gesso Fresco:  This technique is very cool and rather fun to do. The crayons smudge pretty well but because they do dry pretty quickly, I didn't end up making too much mud as I had with the Blended Background technique. Overall, I don't know if it'll be a "back pocket" technique for me, but I will keep it in the back of my mind.


Textured Resist:  This was my favorite technique that I tried out today with the Distress Crayons. I guess I just like resist techniques the best...they seem like magic!

I feel a bit more comfortable with Distress Crayons but I'm still on the fence as to whether they are for me. They are fun to play with and do give interesting resists but I can also achieve the same look with my other mediums. Paints will resist, pastes will resist, embossing powder will resist. I'm leaning toward using what I've got and resisting the urge to buy more.

I'll see if I can try out the other techniques from Day 4 tomorrow. Perhaps, therein lies the spark that makes me fall in love. But for now, Distress Crayons, you're just a friend.
-Wy
"The soul that can speak through the eyes can also kiss with a gaze". ~Gustavo Adolfo Becquer

Comments

Popular Posts